The Week That Was: New Year’s Eve Edition
A weekly review of the past week in sports and maybe not sports. Everyone else has a weekly list or 8 so why not us.
Ed. Note: I would really like to say this is a day early because I’ll be partying like a rock star tonight for New Year’s Eve but let’s face the facts, I’m 39 with a 4 & a 6 year old and normally go to bed at 9 pm. My partying tonight will consist of maybe 3 – 4 Bud Lights and trying not to fall asleep before 10 while flipping the TV back and forth between the Chik-Fil-A-Bowl and some movie I’ll find on HBO. So the real reason it’s early is I plan on being as lazy as possible tomorrow and won’t feel like doing it…which is almost as good as staying up till 3-4am and having a raging hangover, minus the headache and dry heaves.
1. Total Domination: It’s really all you can say about the Packers game on Sunday.
2. Why I Want Round 3 of Packers vs Vikings: I would L-O-V-E to play Minnesota and knock them out of the playoffs, take that Purple Traitor. I’m giddy just thinking about it.
3. Why I Don’t Want Round 3 of Packers vs Vikings: I would have to swear off football till training camp next year if the Packers lost to the Vikings for a third time and it would make the Winter that much more depressing.
4. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda: How bad are those loses to Tampa & Pittsburgh now with the Vikings tanking it right now? The Packers could be playing for a #2 seed. That being said, I think the Tampa loss was actually good for this team in that it game them the wakeup call they obviously needed.
5. Got Screwed: Nick Barnett and Jermichael Finley when it came to the Pro Bowl selections. AJ Hawk as an alternate? Huh?
6. Didn’t Get Screwed: Woodson, Rodgers & Collins, all well deserved. Hopefully none of them will be able to play in the Pro Bowl though because they’ll be playing the week after.
7. That Was Short Lived: A while back in this space I think I may have said something about the Bucks playing well and being on an upswing. I would like to now take a moment to apologize for whatever was said and throw myself on the mercy of the court. In the immortal words of Phil Mickelson, “I am still in shock that I did that, I am such an idiot.”
8. Take That Everyone: I don’t think there was a single person in the MSM who picked UW to win last night, and after the first play I would have sided with them. Even with the kick-off return being called back, the ‘Canes made short work to score but Bucky answered back and continued to do so. Big props to the Defense that had Jacory Harris flustered all night and came up huge late in the game.
9. Packers Prediction: Ugh, I have no idea what will happen on Sunday or who will play so this is little hard to pick…and perhaps care about beyond no one getting hurt. Er….Packers 14, Arizona 10
10. Happy New Year: Here’s wishing a Happy New Years to one and all & wishes for a prosperous 2010.
11. Bonus Item – I have to give some props here to an old college classmate of mine who added his own musical take to the current state of the Vikings and the Packers. Nice job Paul.