The Week That Was
A weekly review of the past week in sports and maybe not sports. Everyone else has a weekly list or 8 so why not us.
1. Rolling, Rolling, Rolling: While it wasn’t an offensive blowout, the Packers defense once again made up for it against the Bears this past Sunday. Also taught me not to ‘tweet’ about a Packers TD until I see the call from the officials.
2. Pandas vs Grizzlies: The Bears/Packers rivalry really has little to no meaning for me. Maybe it’s my generation, maybe it’s that I lived with a Vikings fan in college but all the vaunted ‘Bears Week’ talk leading up to a game really does nothing for me. To me, it’s really just another game. Of course, if it’s against that team to the West then it’s a different story altogether.
3. Getting Close to Parra Status: As Grandma McWeeny always said, ‘Uff-da!’. Mason Crosby is quickly rising on my scorn meter to Manny Parra levels. The case could be made that if it wasn’t for the play of the defense his once a game missed field goal could have cost the Packers the win.
4. What Do We Get This Week? We’ve had the Okie, the Big Okie and got to see the ‘Psycho’ on Sunday, which confused the hell out of me when I saw it as much as it did the Bears.
5. Big 10 Expansion: Quite the debate on this all week. I do like the idea of a Big Ten Conference Championship as it would extend the season and let us see more games, your guess is as good as mine among the popular choices (Pitt, Rutgers, Missouri, Syracuse, Notre Dame – never happen) but I would be in favor of the move should it happen.
6. Something About The Bucks: Now that the Bucks are at least close to relevant again I feel I should say something about them but the only thing I can really think of is the officiating during the Lakers game, which has been discussed everywhere ad nausem. So how about this – Bucks Player Fun Fact: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is a prince in his native village of Bia Messe and has a twin brother that plays BB at Texas State University.
7. This Would Be Good: On the latest ESPN Bracketology the Badgers are at a 6 seed. What really surprised me when I looked at this though was another Wisconsin team in the tourney, one not named the Golden Eagles but rather the Phoenix with a 14 seed.
8. I Have Nothing On These People: I am self-proclaimed geek/nerd with a penchant for Star Wars/Star Trek/Farscape, etc etc. So when I saw this link to How Long Could Luke Survive in a Tautaun on The Daily Drink the other day I had to check it out. Best part about it though is all the discussion in the comments section on the physiology of a Tautaun, “A more pertinent question might be what is the average internal body temperature of a Tauntaun…”, I mean really – who doesn’t want to know that?
9. It Could Happen: In the immortal words of one Jake Taylor, “Well then I guess there’s only one thing left to do…Win the whole f**king thing.” After seeing the Cardinals last Monday, my initial Packers season prediction of 12-4 isn’t too farfetched. A lot has been said of teams peaking too early in the season, I think the Packers are starting to peak now and very possibly could make a deep playoff run.
10. Packer’s Prediction: As I said last week, I had this game penciled in as a loss at the beginning of the season. If I’m going to hold true to my renewed faith in my initial season prediction, I have to call this one a win but a close one as the Steelers are playing for pride. Keeping with my vow not to include any FG points in any predictions here on out, I see Packers 21, Steelers 20.