The Week That Was
A weekly review of the past week in sports and maybe not sports. Everyone else has a weekly list or 8 so why not us.
1. Bucky the Exorcist: The Badgers vanquished the #5 Blue Devils on Wednesday night. Get it? Devils…Exorcist? I know, weak but an awesome, awesome win for Bucky.
2. Better Late Than Never: Via The Daily Drink - Gary Parish from CBS: “I, Gary Parrish, swear on everything I own — including my iPod, portable GPS and hundreds of thousands of Marriot points — that I will never leave Wisconsin unranked in the preseason as long as Bo Ryan is coaching with his NCAA tournament streak intact. It’ll never happen again. Never. Ever. There’s no sense in annually being wrong about the same thing.”
3. Can’t Ignore It I Guess: So…Tiger Woods had a fender bender. Then it turns out Tiger had an affair. Then it turns out Tiger had several affairs. Probably will get some grief for this statement, but personally have never cared for Woods so I am enjoying watching the soap opera.
4. Under the Radar: Can’t believe I’m going to say this – but I am glad Favre is with the Vikings and playing so well. It allows the spotlight to be off of a resurgent Packers team as they put together their own playoff run.
5. Not Under the Radar: Charles Woodson got robbed. I mean, sure he’s gotten the NFC Defensive Player of the Month and past couple weeks but the biggest prize? The Golden Gobbler? Like I said, he got robbed – no offense to Driver of course.
6. What He Said: Was watching the Larry McCarren show this past week and McCarren had Mark Tauscher as his guest. McCarren’s lead-in introduction was: “The more [Tasucher] plays, the more the Packers win.” Coincidence? I think not.
7. Roger Goodell Still a Dick: Oh how I long for the days of Paul Tagliabue. First Goodell ruins the NFL Draft by spreading it over 3 days starting on a Thursday and now he’s pushing for an 18 game schedule. While part of me likes the idea of having more football, I can’t get behind it because since Goodell took over all I see is him looking for ways to make more money with no consideration for the fans and now the players of the NFL.
8. What to Wear: Next Wednesday I’ll be going to the UWGB vs Badgers basketball game. Sort of torn as to what to wear, support the “home town” team or support the “home state” team? My brother-in-law Gary will have the tougher choice though as he’ll have to weigh his support for the Badgers vs support for his Alma Mater.
9. Badger’s Best Guess: 10:30 pm kickoff? Really? Hawaii is only 4 hours behind Wisconsin time-wise, couldn’t they at least scheduled the game in the afternoon Hawaii time? Should be a win for the Badgers none the less…because there is no way I will see the entirety or possibly even the start of this game, I am going with a score of the Badgers 156, Warriors 3. Hawaii Fun Facts: Residents of Hawaii consume more Spam than any other US State & the island of Molokai was originally a Leper Colony.
10. Packer’s Prediction: The Ray I am worried about in this game is not named Lewis, rather Rice. I do think it will be a Packer win on the strength of Rodgers arm and the Defense, but a close game. Packers 28, Ravens 24