The Week That Was
A weekly review of the past week in sports and maybe not sports. Everyone else has a weekly list or 8 so why not us.
1. That’s More Like It: Along with about 70,000 other people walking into Lambeau last Sunday I was thinking “Just don’t let it be a blow out please”, a blow out in favor of the Cowboys of course. I and those other 70,000 fans were pleasantly, nay…exuberantly surprised with the final outcome.
2. Read My Lips…er…tweets: I tweeted this early in the week and still stand by it – Aaron Kampann should be regulated to Nickel & Dime situations where he can put his hand on the ground and rush the QB. That statement is not a cut on Kampann either. As a Packer Fan I think Kampann is one of the best 4-3 DE’s out there and appreciate everything he has done for the team over the years. That being said, as a Packer Fan I also want the team to win and if removing Kampann from the base 3-4 is what it takes, so be it.
3. Like a Fine Wine: I still can’t over the performance of Charles Woodson last Sunday, he just gets better every game. At least the one time Thompson was active in Free Agency he got it right.
4. About Time: Oh look, Bogut’s hurt, shocking. I know that as exciting as it may be to see the Bucks winning and the emergence of Brandon Jennings as a bona fide star in the making, if Redd & Bogut can’t stay healthy for the majority of the season it’s going to be the same old thing.
5. No Love: Pretty much everyone I read, or at least national pundits, are calling for the end of Bo Ryan & the Badger Basketball team’s run of NCAA Tournament appearances this year. While true this team may not have the talent if there is one thing I have learned is to never count out Bo Ryan and his ability to get the most out of his players. My fearless prediction is they do make the tournament and the streak will remain unbroken.
6. Don’t Go: So I read that the UW will take a look at John Clay’s potential NFL draft stock. I really hope no matter what the results of that are, John Clay learns a lesson from PJ Hill about coming out too early and sticks around for next year.
7. Go Phantoms: Let’s all send well wishes to the West De Pere Phantoms in the WIAA Division 3 state title game at 10 am today. Always good to see a local team in a title match no matter which school it is.
8. Let’s Be Safe Out There: Good luck to all my friends & family that will be hitting the woods tomorrow morning looking for that trophy buck.
9. Badger’s Best Guess: Very satisfying win against a very down Michigan squad last week. I always get worried though when the Badgers play Northwestern, no matter what sport, but I think it should still be a win and also secures a New Year’s Day Bowl Game. Wisconsin 35, Northwestern 21
10. Packer’s Prediction: So Sunday will be the second game of my 3 home games in a row, not sure how that worked out. Getting to 3 games in a season is not uncommon, being the on-call guy for a few people with season tickets I know, but I don’t think I have ever been attendance for 3 in a row. I hope that last weekend wasn’t an aberration and am going to stick with that feeling in my prediction: Packers 24, 49ers 17