The Week That Was
A weekly review of the past week in sports and maybe not sports. Everyone else has a weekly list or 8 so why not us.
1. Come & Gone: The only good thing about last Sunday is that it’s now a fleeting memory.
2. Coaching or Play: A lot this week in the blogs and MSM about whether or not it was coaching or play that contributed to the Packers loss. While I know it’s the players on the field that have to make the plays its the coaches that need to determine the game plan, on both sides of the ball, and then make sure the players execute. I am not sure where I stand on this line, but I will say that I am beginning to lose faith in the Mike McCarthy and his staff.
3. Week Too Late? It would appear that both of last year’s bookend O-linemen will be back for this Sunday’s game against Tampa Bay, Clifton and Tauscher. Whether or not this will be the ‘solution’ to the protection woes I have to think at the very least Aaron Rodgers has to feel a little more comfortable know those two are protecting him.
4. Waivered for a Minute: In the post game comments as Favre was being interviewed by Pam Oliver, Purple Traitor had this to say about the Green Bay fans, “I hope they still love me as much as I still love them.” For a moment after hearing that I glanced over to where my #4 signed football use to rest and sighed…then I glanced back to the TV, saw the purple and my ire had returned. Maybe someday down the road I’ll be able to think of Favre with admiration, but not in the foreseeable future.
5. Baseball Free Agency: Now that the World Series (more on that below) is over the Baseball Free Agency period can start in earnest. While for the next 2 weeks or so players can only accept contracts from current teams, the talk will be heating up not necessarily towards free agents but who Doug Melvin can get in return for JJ Hardy and I wouldn’t be surprised if Mat Gamel was also offered up.
6. Just Can’t Do It: As much as I want to be irritated that the Yankees basically bought a championship, I really have to blame baseball for the system. The Yankees have just worked that system, which more teams would if they could. Until Selig seriously looks at how baseball handles things we’ll be in for more of the same.
7. A Star In The Making: The Bucks’ season is pretty young but it would appear their youngest player Brandon Jennings may very well be play maker the Bucks have been missing since…forever.
8. Quit it Already: I am an avid PC user and fervent Mac basher, but when the first “PC & Mac” commercials came out I had to admit they were pretty entertaining. Now, ugh…we get it, Windows has security flaws, blah, blah, blah. The reason more people create exploits, viruses and what not targeted at PCs/Windows is because almost 90% of the world uses Windows, funny how that never comes up.
9. Badger’s Best Guess: Last week’s game against Purdue almost got a little boring towards the end, not that I minded. So the Hoosiers this week, I’m saying Wisconsin 28, Indiana 10
10. Packer’s Prediction: Game the Packers should win and hopefully get Clifton and Tauscher back into the swing of things as well as get some overall team confidence back. Packers 34, Bucs 17