The Week That Was
A weekly review of the past week in sports and maybe not sports. Everyone else has a weekly list or 8 so why not us.
1. A Bitter Pill: Monday night was just that but the better (playing) team won which is generally how it works out.
2. Finley Steps Up: In last week’s ‘The Week That Was’ I mentioned Packers TE Jermichael Finley and the possibility of a potential break-out game for him. Finley had just that and was one of the few bright spots in that debacle.
3. Good D, Bad D: The Packers run defense did what no one thought it could do, contain Adrian Pedersen. Was really sort of amazing. What was also amazing was how poor the pass defense was, just pathetic and embarrassing, especially considering who was under center for Minnesota. All I heard leading up to this was how the Packers needed to contain Peterson and then make Favre beat them…well, that’s exactly what they did.
4. It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over: 2-2 does not make a season and while I lamented the early bye week when I saw the schedule initially, it actually came at the perfect time.
5. Having Said That: My faith is wavering in Thompson and a lesser extent McCarthy. I have been firmly in their camp when it comes to pretty much everything but I will say this, should this season result in not making the play-offs and/or a less than .500 record I may join those sharpening their pitchforks and readying their torches for a march to Lambeau after the season.
6. Best Read All Week: Amongst all the game breakdowns, calls for Thompson and McCarthy’s firing and other hubris about the Monday night game I found this gem on The Daily Drink . The author of Statis-Stix nails this chosen topic wonderfully.
7. Good Point: C.D. Angeli, much to the chagrin of my Green & Gold heart, brings up some good points on the potential/eminent signing of Mark Tauscher . I’ve been calling for Tauscher to be called in since Week 2 of the season but is this really just a move by Thompson to appease fans and say “See? I’m addressing our needs.” See what you did here C.D.? The one area of my life where I try to keep cynicism at bay has now been breached, damn you for making me think. ;-)
8. I Don’t Care for the NBA But… : I really like watching college hoops but really don’t pay attention at all to the NBA. That being said, for some reason I actually seem to find myself looking forward to the Bucks season this year and I really can’t put my finger on why. Maybe it’s because Redd will be back and Bogut may be healthy, maybe because rookie Brandon Jennings may not suck or is it really because Bango Buck has completed rehab and is back for the season . Hmmm, prolly Bango Buck.
9. Badger’s Best Guess: Impressive road win last week, one to which deep down when I made my pick I will acknowledge I did so as a homer. I just couldn’t bear to see Bucky lose to Minnesota so chose to live in a world where they didn’t, actually worked out for once. Tomorrow against Ohio State though I just can’t ignore the facts, I hope this is wrong but I think the Badgers change that 0 in the L column to a 1 – Buckeyes 37, Badgers 17
10. Packer’s Prediction: Obviously the Bye week here so no game. At the start of the season, I predicted a 12-4 season for the Packers which I really can’t stand by now. Am making my Bye week season prediction now which will be 14-2….can’t even type that with a straight face. Revised 2009 Packers (Bye Week) Season Prediction: 10-6, Wild Card.