The Week That Was
A weekly review of the past week in sports and maybe not sports. Everyone else has a weekly list or 8 so why not us.
1. Afternoon Ruined: I really like afternoon Brewer games during the week. I can put it on the radio while at work and really helps pass the time. Why is it though that it seems that almost every weekday afternoon game ends in a Brewers lose? I pretty much had given up hope on Wednesday after Suppan’s third inning, but got drawn back in when the offense made up for it, only to be let down in the 9th.
2. Think Goodell Will Look Kindly on This? So the first day out of prison for Michael Vick and what does he do? Well, hit up a Strip Club on Amateur night of course. Speaking of Goodell…
3. If Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It: The NFL announced that it will move its annual Draft to a Thur-Fri-Sat format next year. The NFL Draft Weekend was one of my favorite weekends of the year and I know many who echo that sentiment, now a thing of the past. Just another example of Rodger Goodell’s disregard for the fans of his product. Next thing you know he’ll be talking about moving the Super Bowl overseas…oh, wait..
4. Attanasio Spotlight Piece: I know this has been out for awhile but during Monday’s rain delay was the first time I think I have watched it all the way through. Could the Brewers and the state of Wisconsin have gotten a better fit for the owners of the Brewers? I think not.
5. One Trade Down, One More To Go – I Hope: I like the trade for Julie Lopez and its already paid dividends but c’mon Doug, go get that pitcher now. Pretty please?
6. Quote of the Week: From Right Field Bleachers - “… I never want to listen to a Brewers game without Ueck behind the mic. I doubt I’ve ever gone a whole game without him making me laugh out loud at least once.” Amen.
7. Of Moral Outrage & Celebrity Adoration: The whole Erin Andrews peephole video is disturbing on many levels, but what I don’t understand is how so many blogs, many of which take every opportunity to boost page views by posting about Andrews, have taken this up as a rallying cry of all that is indecent in the world. Maybe it’s a testament to how Andrews has become such an integral part of our sports viewing lives or maybe it’s akin to feeling bad about calling someone fat to turn around and hear they died of weight related issues. Either way, had ESPN not outed Andrews in the video, the whole thing would have blown over without much ado.
8. Of Interest To No One But Me: Hey, take a look there….the Pocket Dopplers of the ACL Fantasy Baseball League have worked their way to second place. Sure, it’s only by half a point and may last all of one day but in over a decade of participating in Fantasy Baseball this is the highest I have ever been in the standings at this point in the season, so let me have my moment.
9. Buerle & Obama, BFF: After Buerle’s complete game President Obama called his BFF to congratulate him. One of the things I have always liked about Obama is his unabashedness about being a sports fan and particularly a fan his teams. Was it politically correct to wear a White Sox jacket at the All-Star game? Probabally not but in fandom land it was totally appropriate.
10. Blog to Bookmark: Right Field Bleachers – Anyone who echoes our sentiment in regards to Uecker is OK by me. http://www.rightfieldbleachers.com/